Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why does he have to be British?

I am reading Daniel Hannan's book "The New Road to Serfdom: A Letter of Warning to America. He makes a statement very early on in the book which I am going to quote here:

"Allegiance to the United States means allegiance to it's foundational texts and the principles inherent therein. It means loyalty to the republican ideal: the ideal that is, of a virtuous, independent, and freestanding citizenry. Those who reject these ideals, who eschew the principles on which the United States was founded can fairly be called un-American".


My God doesn't that statement cut right to the chase of our current political dilemma? Ironically this man is a Member of the European Parliament representing South East England, and he sees with crystal clarity what is wrong here. I highly recommend the book and furthermore I wish it could be required reading for every graduating high-school senior.

No comments:

Post a Comment