If you wonder why the last fiasco out of Washington with the budget ceiling was so ridiculous the explanation is very simple. They haven’t produced a budget in almost 2 years, again ALMOST 2 YEARS. Why? Let me break it down as to why we are using continuing resolutions to extend the FY2010 (passed in 2009!) budget.
- After the Republican bloodbath in 2010, the “lame duck” Congress REFUSED to produce a FY 2011 budget.
- The Republican House passed a FY2012 budget that didn’t nearly cut enough but the Democrats in charge of the Senate didn’t even put it up for a vote, they buried their constitutional responsibility. However the Senate IRONICALLY, unanimously said NO to the ridiculous budget that President Obama submitted.
- No matter what, the FY 2010 spending levels are in effect, PLUS that ridiculous “automatic” 7.5 % increase that has been in effect since 1974. Even though they are only passing continuing resolutions the 7.5% IS INCLUDED EVERY YEAR.
- The budget process in the US Congress is so broken that they have NO IDEA WHERE ALL OF THE MONEY IS. No one does. (Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling don’t it).
Here are a couple of common sense solutions that could help.
- Repeal the Congressional Budget Act of 1974. That act required the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to prepare projections of federal spending for the upcoming fiscal year based on a continuation of the existing level of governmental services.
- Force Congress to use GAAP accounting.
- Nothing is “Outside” of the budget process. It ALL has to be accounted for every year.
- Hold Congress and the President to the same CRIMINAL penalties for lying about the finances of the country as American businesses.
- Require the Federal government to pay off the debt before spending any budget surplus.
- Pass a Balanced Budget Amendment. Make the jerks in Washington toe the line.